Tuesday, April 3, 2012

New Recipe....with Quinoa and Other Super Foods!

A while back I had the opportunity to teach a class about healthy eating.....and when I mentioned "Quiona" people gasped and whispered....."quin who?" "Quin-what?" So if you are new to Quinoa and eating healthier then try this!!!

Quinoa is a super food. It's a grain that is really really high in protein .....its a rock star in my opinion! Move over boring brown rice and plain couscous....try Quinoa!


Yesterday I made the most delicious salad {looked very close to pic above}.....chocked full of amazing healthy foods that taste great! Even my 6 year old loved this and wanted to drink the vinaigrette from his empty salad bowl.

All I added:
Quinoa {one cup uncooked yields approx 2 cups cooked...available at Trader Joes and health food stores}
One can of Tuna Solid Albicore drained
1-2 Roma Tomatoes diced and seeded
1/4 English Cucumber diced with skin on
1/4 C diced red onion
1/2 Avocado diced
a HUGE bunch of fresh raw baby spinach {get organic at sams or costoco...cheap!}
Last...and my fave part....crumble some amazing Gorgonzola cheese in there!

For the Dressing:
I never measure and it always tastes great! Promise! Remember my 6 year old son wanted to drink this stuff!

Grab an old jar with tight fitting lid...I used an empty jar that had marinated artichoke hearts in it...about 1 pint size

add:
1T Dijon
Sweetner...just a pinch or two{stevia, agave, sweet n low, sugar...what ever you have on hand but the first two are the best!}
1 part e.v.o.o
2 parts vinegar {apple cider is fine}
fill the rest with water
use your garlic press and press 2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Shake it baby! When the dressing is combined....you can pour or spoon it on your salad. SO SO Good!

This salad can be as large as you want it or as small...depending on how much you add of the quiona. You can add all the salad ingredients except the baby spinach and it can all get happy together in the fridge, then just add the spinach to the mixture when you want to eat it!

ENJOY!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Come cook for me, you're so amazing!!!

The Lind Family said...

Looks yummy!