Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Tank Top Repurpose {Tutorial}


I've seen these all over blog land and in the catalogs and thought that I could make one in miniature for my daughter!
I love taking everyday items like an under shirt and a  tank top in this case and turning them into something special.  Cost: $0.00
 {I had everything on hand}

Here's what I started with:

One of my daughter's many tanks

An extra pre washed under shirt {new} of my older son's
I cut the sleeve's off, can use for another project, cut the strips for ruffles at approx 3 in. then cut each of those at the side to make 2 strips out of each.

Sew the strips with a running stitch or gathering stitch
pull the under side thread or  bobbin thread
it should look like this
now you are ready to pin the ruffle in place at the very top
add the next layer just under the first, but be careful here, you don't want it too low or else the top will show
continue until it looks like the pic above
ta da!
{Lace and brown velvet head band}...just for fun!

Hope you like this Ruffled Tank Top tutorial! Make one and let me know how it turned out.

6 comments:

kate telles said...

Wow, I mean seriously Elaine, I wanna be like u when I grow up! U r so crafty and cute! I love that and I want one in my size!!!!!

Pemberley Court said...

Aw thanks katie! That is like the sweetest thing to say! :)

Jaime said...

Elaine, you're awesome!! I've been wanting to ruffle everything but I'm afraid of knits!

Linds and Thad said...

Adorable! I wish I was a crafty as you! Maybe some day ...

Pemberley Court said...

Thanks girls! It really is very simple, a little tedious actually but the end result is worth it!
Lindsay: I think Analyn and you both would be cute wearing matchy ones!

Jaime: you could so make this!!! I think it would be a great way to start your ruffling adventures! Not to mention it would be super cute on you or your lil girl!

Charmain said...

This turned out darling! You should make one for yourself...then one for me next! ;)